Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Tuesday's Links - 02/14/2012

 I took an extended weekend but we're back for a Valentine's Day edition of the daily links.
Eye Candy of the Day


On Monday, news broke that model Kate Upton would grace the 2012 Sports Illustrated Swim Suit Issue.  Here's a video which shows off Upton's talents

I personally had a subscription to Sports Illustrated from 1992 to 1998 and always looked forward to the yearly swimsuit issue.  The Swimsuit issue along with the March Madness issue were the two hightlights of the year for a teenage subscribing to Sports Illustrated.  Remember that this was a time period before the internet and personal computers became prevalent.  Sports Illustrated was the main way for a teenage boy to get a nicely printed bracket to use for record keeping and keeping track of the NCAA basketball tournament while skipping school to watch the games.  I bet you thought I was going to refer to the Swimsuit issue there.  Sorry to disappoint.  Lets take a look back at two of my favorite models from those issues though, Josie Maran and Daniella Pestova

As for Upton, she has seemingly been everywhere the past few months, so it was no surprise to find her on the cover.  A few months back Upton had Pat's Tight End, Rob Gronkowski, try to win her over via twitter and has since been linked to Jet's Qb Mark Sanchez.  For her sake, let's hope that is not true.  No need for her to get caught going down with that sinking ship


Grammy Time


To be completely honest if Whitney Houston didn't die within hours of the Grammys I probably wouldn't have even known the show was on Sunday, but since she did, curiosity dragged me in.  I'm sure there will be plenty of tributes and youtube videos going forward but the best Whitney related item I saw the past 2 days was this isolated vocal performance from the track "How Will I Know."     

As for the show itself it was more or less an Adele love fest.  The English recording artist took home the three major awards of the night for Best Record, Best Album, and Song of the Year.  While these are the awards that get the most attention, my favorite part of the Grammys is always the Best New Artist Award.  I enjoy the parallels between Best New Artist and Rookie of the Year Awards in the major sports.  For every Derek Jeter and Justin Verlander who reaches their potential there is a Bob Hamelin who fails to continue their early success.  Here's a look at all the Best New Artist winners and nominees through the years.         

I was pleasantly surprised to find out that I knew all the best new artist nominees this year and was actually a fan of one of the nominees, Skrillex.  For those who didn't watch, or could care less, an artist named Bon Iver won who seems more destined to a Marty Cordova comparison in 10 years than on his way to a lifetime achievement award but I guess that's the fun in all of this.     


Skrillex is a dubstep DJ who turned to electronic music after performing in a screamo group named "From First To Last".  Even though I don't find myself listening to much electronic music, I caught wind of Skrillex through a friend and was hooked right away after watching some videos on youtube.  For pure comedy purpose it would have been fun to see Skrillex win the award.  I can't wait to see where an artists whose main audience are college age kids that are doing massive amounts of "blow" and popping Adderall's in dance halls ends up in 10 to 15 years.  God bless Rock n Roll in all of its forms.  Here are a few tracks of his worth checking out to get an idea of his sound.

 





LIN-SANITY!!!!!


Jeremy Lin showed up just in time to save both the New York Knicks and my fantasy basketball seasons.  If you haven't heard about this, you're on the wrong webpage right now.   




Mr. 40/40
I received a series of text messages early Monday informing me that none other than Jose Canseco is taking inspiration from Kenny Powers and is heading to the Mexican Leagues.  You can count on hearing more about this in the days to come on here.  

 

Educational

Replacing plastics with mushrooms...I'm listening.


WWE Video of the Day

Considering the Grammys were this weekend, I would be remiss if I didn't share an original song performed by a WWE Superstar.  That's me speaking from the heart.  Now hear "Macho Man" Randy Savage speaking from his...

No comments:

Post a Comment